Monday, March 22, 2010

Do you ever experiment with cooking?



When I was in Morocco and before coming to the USA, I cooked 3 times in my life. Always my lovely mom cooked for me; I went to school every day except Sunday from 8.00 am to 5.00 or 6.00 pm. Therefore my schedule was full I had no time for cooking, always tired and I needed just to eat and to sleep.


In the vacation I had no homework and no duties so sometimes I tried to cook but no alwaysJ My mom said to me ‘’ This is vacation you have to relax yourself and to sleep well; because during the whole year you study hard so there is no need to cook, just have fun my sweetheart!’’.

I have always thought that my mom was an exception. Because Moroccan mothers often push their daughters to learn how to cook. The question that imposes itself is why? Because Moroccan men prefer the women who are expert in cooking; and they believe in the proverb who said: ‘’the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach!’’ However, me I am not really convinced by this idea because there is things who are more important than food in the relation between husband and wife.

Currently, I can cook everything and especially Moroccan food, because I am alone in the USA I have to do everything by myself. Therefore, I learned by using books of cooking which my mom bought for me.



1 comment: